For your information, please circulate widely.

From: Susan Sygall at Mobility International USA [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Sygall at Mobility International USA
Sent: Friday, 3 August 2018 3:07 AM
To: Frank
Subject: Turning a Corner

Header: "MIUSA Global Impact: Advancing Disability Rights and Leadership Globally SM"

August 2018

From the CEO

Maybe the silos are beginning to break down. Maybe we are beginning to realize that we all have many identities and that different struggles for justice need to be collaborative. The theme of intersectionality is everywhere.

It felt like something had finally changed when I co-chaired a panel at the CEO retreat at InterAction, where CEOs from the international development  and humanitarian community made their firm commitments to be more inclusive of people with disabilities, women, LGBTQI, and youth. That message was echoed again loud and clear at the annual InterAction Forum in June and then again at the Gender 360 Summit.

Perhaps we have turned a corner. And perhaps knowing about this wave of change will give us all a much-needed boost to persevere and advance forward.

Finally, as we all rightfully turn our focus to the environmental agenda: it is time that we join forces with this movement so that nothing is considered "green" unless it is accessible to those of us with disabilities. Is that change around the corner too?

MIUSA Updates

Group of about 20 women with diverse disabilities. Some are seated in wheelchairs or hold white canes. Many smile widely and raise their hands high. They hold a banner in front of them and wear matching pink polo shirts.

Going WILD in Asia

“[Before WILD,] I never had an opportunity to work with people with different disabilities. It was a powerful experience to see and understand how we can be inclusive and why it is important.” – WILD-Asia delegate

They came from China, Sri Lanka, Nepal and India with a unified goal: to revolutionize the status of women with disabilities globally. MIUSA was proud to host its first-ever Regional Women’s Institute on Leadership and Disability (WILD) - Asia program, held in Colombo, Sri Lanka in May 2018. We are now excited to welcome 15 new “Loud, Proud & Passionate!®” women to our expanding WILD family of over 220 women from 83 countries. Find highlights and described photos from the Regional WILD-Asia program online.

Joining Hands Highlights

Joining Hands was a dream come true! This full-day symposium was dedicated to the participation of people with disabilities in international exchange and was attended by international exchange alumni with disabilities, disability rights leaders, international educators and exchange professionals, and others who are passionate about access to international opportunities. Check out our recap to view highlights from the symposium, including a Flickr photo slideshow. Use the hashtag #JoiningHands to see the event unfold on Twitter.

Joining Hands was presented by the National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange is a project of the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, designed to increase the participation of people with disabilities in international exchange between the United States and other countries, and is supported in its implementation by Mobility International USA (MIUSA).

Juanita Lillie gestures as she speaks to the room during a panel presentation. She is seated behind a table in between Alex Stone (left) and Annie Tulkin (right). Near the table is a woman who interprets in American Sign Language. Juanita identifies as a woman of color.

New Report Launched at COSP

Moving from inclusion to infiltration. Young leaders with disabilities engaged in international exchange. Disabled youth represented in every youth program globally!

These are some of the powerful themes presented during the Global Partnership for Children with Disabilities (GPcwd) Leadership and Mentoring Task Force at the 11th Session of the Conference of State Parties (COSP) in New York City. MIUSA and Partners for Youth with Disabilities are co-chairing the committee, which launched a report that highlights leadership opportunities for young people with disabilities. Lydia Shula from MIUSA shared highlights of the report at COSP. Access the full report here, and learn more about what you and your organization can do to support our young global citizens with disabilities.

Group of about 20 individuals holding handwritten signs and "I love you" hand sign, kneeling or standing before the ACDC logo. Their papers say things like "Effective" and "Competent" and "Access" in English and Vietnamese

The Power of Legal Knowledge

In order to achieve your rights, you must first know your rights! At the office of the Action to the Community Development Center (ACDC) in Hanoi, a group of Deaf leaders from the U.S. and Vietnam came together to build knowledge of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the Vietnam Law on Persons with Disabilities among the Deaf community. As part of a training of trainers, organized by ACDC, MIUSA and U.S. partners of the RightsNow! project, the two day intensive training for Deaf participants by Deaf leaders tackled terminology and key concepts critical to understanding the rights of people with disabilities under the law. Read a blog post about the TOT from trainer Michael Schwartz of Tangata Group.

Mi Yeon professional photo; seated in power wheelchair with hands folded on lap; gazing away from camera and smiling cheerfully

Alumni Spotlight: Mi Yeon Kim

MIUSA congratulates the nine individuals who were elected to the CRPD Committee during the 11th Conference of States Parties to the CRPD last month in New York City. Among those elected is WILD 1997 alumna Mi Yeon Kim! Mi Yeon, from South Korea, has been working in the field of disability and women's rights for more than 27 years. She says that her identity and experiences as both a woman and as a person with a disability have given her an intersectional perspective in understanding disability rights issues in the CRPD, an issue she will prioritize as a member of the CRPD Committee. Congratulations, Mi Yeon!

MIUSA Engagement at International Development Events

In June, MIUSA put disability inclusion on the agenda at two major events bringing together stakeholders in the international development field. At the InterAction Forum, we joined CEOs of influential InterAction member organizations to discuss initiatives for outreaching to underserved communities in international development programming.

That same week, MIUSA staff and alumni had the opportunity to attend the Gender 360 Summit hosted by FHI 360, a member of MIUSA's Excellence in Development and Disability Inclusion (EDDI) initiative. The Summit, which focused on "positive girl and boy development," modeled several examples of disability access and inclusion that we would encourage any organization to apply to its own events and programs. Find highlights here.

Please donate to MIUSA to support more of this vital work. We can't do it without you!

Opportunities Beyond MIUSA

The below opportunities are NOT administered by MIUSA, but we believe they may be of interest to our readers. Please contact the organization directly for more information!

Career Opportunities with International NGOs

Browse job and internship opportunities with members of MIUSA's Excellence in Development and Disability Inclusion (EDDI) initiative, including new members World Vision and WEEMA International! Some recent positions include:

Visit the links to each organization's job page for more details about open U.S. and international positions with these organizations.

New Resource on Disability-Inclusive Community Health

How can the global health community apply a disability rights lens to its practice? That's where you come in! CORE Group, a member of MIUSA's EDDI initiative, recently launched its Disability Inclusive Health Technical Advisory Group to bring health and development professionals together with members of the disability community to focus on practical community-level implementation issues with a focus on people with disabilities. To join, subscribe to the listserv here.

Nominations Open for Her Abilities Award

Nominations are now open for the Her Abilities Award which is the first global award honoring the achievements of women with disabilities. Initiated by disabled woman activist and lawyer Yetnebersh Nigussie from Ethiopia, Her Abilities was launched by Light for the World to honor women with disabilities who achieved greatness in their life or field of work.There are three categories:

  • Health & Education:
  • Rights & Advocacy
  • Arts, Culture & Sports

Nominate someone for the Her Abilities Award by September 30, 2018.

Get Involved in Disability-Led Conferences

Want to reach leaders with disabilities about your service, product, or organization? Contact organizers at the following disability-led conferences about opportunities to exhibit, sponsor, and more!

Perspectives on International Disability Activism Across Intersections
August 17, 2018 in Boston, Massachusetts
This half-day forum is a pre-conference event for the biennial Disability Intersectionality Summit, which is hosted this year with the sponsorship and support of the Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network. Speakers represent disability activism across intersections from Colombia, Indonesia, Mexico, Ukraine and more.

Disabled and Proud
October 11-13, 2018 online
Sponsored by Disability Rights, Education, Activism, and Mentoring (DREAM), this is a conference for students by students with disabilities, focused on building up students as leaders for campus change to improve accessibility, inclusion, and the campus climate for people with disabilities.

Want updates on how people with disabilities can participate in broad (non-MIUSA) international exchange programs? Subscribe to our Access to Exchange e-news.

Copyright © 2018 Mobility International USA, All rights reserved.
Mobility International USA (MIUSA) is sending this message to people who expressed interest in receiving updates on international development and international exchange disability issues. MIUSA is a US-based NGO that is "empowering people with disabilities around the world to achieve their human rights through international exchange and international development." We do not share or sell our lists for any reason.

Our mailing address is:

Mobility International USA

132 E. Broadway

Suite 343

Eugene, Oregon 97401

Add us to your address book

________________End of message________________ This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about list administration should be sent to [log in to unmask] Archives and tools are located at: www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html You can VIEW, POST, JOIN and LEAVE the list by logging in to this web page.