Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

As there is a cross-over into employment law, I took one person’s suggestion and dropped the ACAS helpline a call.

From their position, the contract and any linked activities and responsibilities would start from the start date of work, not from the moment the contract is signed.

If there is something specific within the contract about duties / responsibilities prior to the start date then they would need to be within the contract.

If an organisation requested and the incoming employee agreed (issues with possible coercion) then they may volunteer to do work but that would have to under an agreement.

So, unless there is an agreement to that affect, employers should not be giving access to systems and data prior to the contract start date, and even if there is then we are falling into the territory of whether they are trained, etc.

This is going to be interesting to discuss on education forums.

Tony