Dear all urban geographers among your critical geographers (and apologies for cross-posting),

The RGS-IBG annual conference in Cardiff next week will be my first as Chair of the UGRG. While the research group has been relatively quiet in this time of transition over the last several months, I would like to increase our activity and make sure the UGRG is useful for, and in dialogue with, its membership as well move into the new academic year.

To that end, I would like to invite you to our Annual General Meeting (AGM) next week, where we will be able to talk through paths forward together. The 2018 AGM of the Urban Geography Research Group (UGRG) will take place at the RGS-IBG Annual Conference in Cardiff on Thursday, 30 August, at 1:10pm-2:25pm, in Seminar Room 0.85 of the Glamorgan Building at the University of Cardiff.

Urban Geography Research Group AGM

Thursday Plenary & lunch (13:10-14:25)      Glamorgan Building - Seminar Room 0.85

We will be filling vacancies on our managing committee during the AGM. We will also be discussing possibilities for reviving the UGRG’s annual conference — which is open to volunteers to host the event, and shape its theme. In the past this UGRG conference has been held in April in some years, in November in other years. This is all open to discussion, so I hope you will attend, and bring your ideas.

Available committee posts:

* Treasurer: This post is a three-year term (in the first instance) and the role involves managing the research group’s finances and related administration. Each January, the treasurer prepares an annual financial report and an interim report for the AGM in August/September.  The treasurer may attend the RGS-IBG Research Groups Committee at the RGS, normally in October and March. The treasurer would usually be involved in UGRG’s wider committee activities, i.e. part of the judging panel for our undergraduate dissertation prize.

* Ordinary Committee Members (x 4): This post is a three-year term (in the first instance).  While without specific responsibilities, ordinary committee members would usually be involved in the UGRG’s wider committee activities i.e. part of the judging panel for our undergraduate dissertation prize.  Ordinary committee members may also be asked to provide support for named roles.

* Postgraduate Representatives (x 2): This post is a one-year term (in the first instance) and the role involves liaising with the RGS-IBG Postgraduate Forum, engaging with postgraduate issues through our UGRG postgraduate blog and working with our other postgraduate representative(s) on related events and activities. The PG representative would usually be involved in UGRG’s wider committee activities i.e. part of the judging panel for our undergraduate dissertation prize.

Nominations for successors (who must be a Fellow or Postgraduate Fellow of the RGS-IBG) are open; if you would like to nominate someone (including yourself) in advance of the meeting, please email me directly at [log in to unmask]

Further opportunities to be elected to a named role or as an ordinary committee member may become available during the AGM itself. We’ll also be discussing different ways that our wider membership can get involved with UGRG.

See you next week in Cardiff if you can make it!

Ryan

--

Dr Ryan Centner

Assistant Professor of Urban Geography

Department of Geography & Environment

London School of Economics

Houghton Street

London, United Kingdom WC2A 2AE

Chair of the Urban Geography Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society

Whatsapp: +447925277890

To unsubscribe from the CRIT-GEOG-FORUM list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CRIT-GEOG-FORUM&A=1