From: Mark Hamill <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, 03 August 2018 13:31
To: 'Peter Fleming' <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Is ignorance an excuse?

Good Afternoon Peter,

A waste receiver HAS to rely on the information provided – they cannot and should not be expected to judge how well the sampling was done and whether or not someone 20 miles away used a clean stainless steel trowel and an amber jar, or their bare hands and a rubble sack. There would almost certainly be no way of them being able to assess this regardless. As the response you provided suggests – the question is “have they fulfilled their duty of care”, and a landfill operator can certainly do this without double guessing the quality of the laboratory data or quality of the sampling.

However, they obviously have a duty of care to ensure all wastes they accept fall within their permit requirements – to do this, the EA state that (verbatim):

Landfill operators must carry out the following checks:

Ensure that there is sufficient waste characterisation information available to make a decision about whether to accept the waste prior to receipt and that this information, once assessed, can be cross-referenced to the waste received.

Visual check of each waste load to verify that it conforms to the written waste description.

Verification sampling and testing of key, relevant characteristics (as set out in Sections 4 and 5) to ensure that the waste he accepts complies with the Basic Characterisation.

It’s a little unclear, but I understand the verification testing frequency they should adhere to is 3 samples per year, per source or per carrier if the total amount of material disposed of is over 2,000T a year.

Regards,

Mark Hamill,  BSc, MSc, MIEnvSc

Senior Engineer

01244 288 200

INFRASTRUCTURE AND ENERGY

Geotechnical House, 18-19 Drome Road, Deeside Park, Deeside, Flintshire, CH5 2NY.

www.socotec.co.uk