Dear JL,

Years ago, this was a common problem when I was crystallizing myosin
constructs for my doctoral work.  Some of the most beautiful crystals I
got showed little or no diffraction.  Often this occurs when there is a very
large water content in the asymmetric unit and in proteins that have a
great deal of intrinsic disorder.  Jon's suggestion to flash-cool them in
oil could work.  Your high PEG concentration in the flash-cooling solution
might work, too, but you probably cannot just plunge your crystals
suddenly into a much higher PEG solution.  A few suggestions:

1) Whichever cryoprotectant you use, introduce it to your crystal GRADUALLY,
such as in steps (e.g., 10% ==> 15% ==> 20% ==>25%) or something like that.
For some proteins, drastic rapid changes of concentrations of anything in
the solution can damage the crystal and introduce enough disorder so that
the protein crystal will not diffract well.  Sometimes you can tell when there's
damage if the crystal cracks (or melts away), but not always.

2) You may have to experiment with different cryoprotectants.  Different
cryoprotectants make different protein crystals happy.  For example, try PEG 200,
PEG 400, PEG 600, glycerol, sucrose, trehalose, other disaccharide sugars, MPD, butanediols.

3) I have found that, as a "rule of thumb", 25% of any cryoprotectant is enough
to protect against ice formation.  If your protein crystal can tolerate it, higher
concentrations could be better (because they can shrink the unit cell and reduce
some of the water content).  HOWEVER, many protein crystals will not tolerate
much higher concentrations without taking on damage.

I hope this helps.

-Daniel