I second (third?) what Tommi and Kevin said about using an oil to cover the drop to slow evaporation (I like paraffin for this—not too viscous). Here’s an additional nuance: Saturate the oil with the alcohol first, before using it to cover the drop.

> On 14 Aug 2018, at 2:58 PM, Thomas Krey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Dear crystallization experts,
>
> We have 3D protein crystals grown from a microseed matrix screening vapor diffusion experiment in either
>
> 15% (v/v) Reagent alcohol
> HEPES Na pH 7.5
> 0.2 M MgCl2
>
> or in
>
> 27% Isopropanol
> 0.18 M MgCl2
> 90 mM HEPES Na pH 7.5
> 10% Glycerol
>
> Upon opening the corresponding wells these crystals move quite a bit – presumably due to the volatility of the alcohols. Does anyone have a good suggestion to stabilize the swirling movements? Does anyone have experience, whether these conditions alone can serve as cryo-protectant (i.e., do we really have to fish, move into cryo solution and fish again)?
> Any suggestion or input would be highly welcome.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Thomas
>

> Prof. Dr. Thomas Krey
> Hannover Medical School
> Institute of Virology
> Structural Virology Group
> Carl-Neuberg-Str. 1
> D-30625 Hannover
> phone: +49 (0) 511 - 532 4308
> email: [log in to unmask]

> https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=CCP4BB&A=1

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497
Philadelphia, PA  19102-1192  USA