Dear crystallization experts,

We have 3D protein crystals grown from a microseed matrix screening vapor diffusion experiment in either

15% (v/v) Reagent alcohol

HEPES Na pH 7.5

0.2 M MgCl2

or in

27% Isopropanol

0.18 M MgCl2

90 mM HEPES Na pH 7.5

10% Glycerol

Upon opening the corresponding wells these crystals move quite a bit – presumably due to the volatility of the alcohols. Does anyone have a good suggestion to stabilize the swirling movements? Does anyone have experience, whether these conditions alone can serve as cryo-protectant (i.e., do we really have to fish, move into cryo solution and fish again)?

Any suggestion or input would be highly welcome.

Thank you very much in advance.

Thomas

Prof. Dr. Thomas Krey

Hannover Medical School