May I add the comment that despite the fact that it would be great if all of the samples that I worked with would be stable at room temperature for 3 weeks, if I had applied that as a criterion for crystallization screening and subsequent structure determination, then my publication record would be about 1/5 the current length. Most of the really interesting and high-impact structures that I’ve worked on over the last 18 years were not that stable, and several were ones that were unstable enough that I couldn’t allow the crystallization setups to sit for longer than one week without seeing degradation of the diffraction pattern.

When you notice this phenomenon, it focuses the mind to search for the most optimum conditions for rapid, quality crystal growth. It also relieves one of having to wait weeks to months for the best diffracting crystals. You take what you can get, and if 3.5 Å is the best you’ll see but it answers your biological questions, you’ll be happy with what you have.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
(214) 645-6383 (phone)