Yesterday I was at the National Archives looking for info on the Cold War in West Africa in the late 1940s.  In one of the Information Research Department files, ‘Minutes and Related Papers, 1949’, FO1110/202, I read this:

Committee of Colonial Information Policy meeting 20/10/1949

‘P.C. Gordon-Walker, Under-Sec of State, Commonwealth Relations Office, suggests the Lord Chancellor might be asked to speak about the desirability of people in this country treating coloured people with courtesy and kindness. It was however generally felt that the matter was very delicate and that any speech on the subject might have unfortunate consequences. Committee agreed to leave for the present the question of a Ministerial speech on the treatment of coloured people.’

To unsubscribe from the BASA list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BASA&A=1