From: The Black and Asian Studies Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kathleen Chater <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 29 July 2018 09:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What's Happening in Black British History? IX Call for Papers, deadline 7th September 2018.

Hi Miranda,

I've actually written a full-scale study of this family and am just awaiting a couple of death certificates to finalise it.  Have been in touch with a descendant and have pix.  Am also writing up one of them for the ODNB.  Plan to print their story - you couldn't make it up - so could launch the publication at WHBBH9.

Here's the proposal:

The Audain Family: Class and Colour in Victorian London

In the mid-1850s John Audain, merchant and estate owner in St Vincent, became a member of the executive and then legislative councils there.  He, his wife and their three children relocated to London c. 1860 where two more sons were born and where he died in 1864.  His widow and their five children had a rich, privileged upbringing on the income from the St Vincent estate and, with one exception, became respectable members of the middle-class. They appear in over 300 records, but only in four newspaper reports in which two of the children are mentioned, is it recorded that they were biracial.  The others passed unremarked, although another did come into the public eye.  How many other mixed race families were living quietly and unnoticed in Victorian Britain long before Windrush?  How can we find them and what can we learn about attitudes to race and class in late 19th century England?

Best

Kathy