Thank you all for your input in this discussion. We do not measure zinc in our lab and I have learnt a lot from your responses.

I interpret that the consensus is that data is either anecdotal, or from 1960s/70s. I agree that it would be interesting to see published data for a comparison between trace element free tubes vs serum gel using tubes from 2018 – if gel tubes do cause a problem then this should be very easily proved.

Thanks again

Mandy

From: HARRINGTON, Chris (ROYAL SURREY COUNTY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)
Sent: 15 August 2018 09:34
To: [log in to unmask]; PERRY, Mandy (ROYAL DEVON AND EXETER NHS FOUNDATION TRUST)
Subject: Re: zinc analysis - are trace element free tubes required?

Dear Mandy

As previous respondents have said it's widely accepted that gel-tubes leach zinc resulting in a falsely raised value when measured by all available methods.  We've definitely had this experience in our lab over many years.  I'm surprised that some labs accept gel-tubes for zinc and would caution against this.

However I thought I'd take a quick look at the literature and I too couldn't find any studies supporting this.  I think this is probably because they were carried out back in the 60s and 70s and the papers may not be so easily available on the internet.

We have done some related studies looking at leaching of zinc from rubber stopppers commonly used in freeze dried IQC materials.  The graph below shows how zinc increases when in contact with the rubber bung, whereas copper is stable.

In general I think the use of trace element free tubes should be encouraged, definitely for Al, Cr, Mn, Ni; it's a false economy not to use them as it leads to retesting and requires the supply of a second tube, with associated testing costs and each batch may not have a consistent level of contamination, so blanking may be unreliable.

Kind regards

Chris​

C. F. Harrington, BSc, MSc, PhD, FRSC

Principal Clinical Scientist

Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford

Deputy Director, SAS Trace Element Centre
Scheme Manager, UKNEQAS for Trace Elements and Guildford Peptide Hormones
Visiting Senior Research Fellow, University of Surrey

Research www.researchgate.net/profile/Chris_Harrington

Direct Tel. 01483 689977
Fax. 01483 689979
email: [log in to unmask]