At the SAAs I saw a Dino-Lite live demo of stacked images of a cut mark and
the speed, focus, and depth was pretty amazing.

Elizabeth

*From:* Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:
[log in to unmask]] *On Behalf Of *terry.oconnor
*Sent:* Monday, July 2, 2018 7:23 PM
*To:* [log in to unmask]
*Subject:* Re: [ZOOARCH] pictures of cutmarks: dino-lite? camera?

Well, yes, if you have regular SEM access and budget and material that will
take SEM prep, then it's probably the better option. But I have yet to see
a SEM that can be taken into the field or to museum collections, or that
can be had for under  £1000 brand new. Of the optical options, Keyence do
kit that overcomes the issues you mention, but it's bulky and costs an
order of magnitude more. If 'flattening' of the image is a problem, have
you tried Focus-stacking Dino-lite images? Sonia O'C, whose knowledge of
macro/micro imaging is way beyond mine, produced some excellent images of
small shells recently using a Dino-light and focus-stacking, and just did a
lovely job imaging fine cut-marks using her Dino-light and some extra
lamps.

There are other options of course, but the original question was about
using a Dino-lite to image cut marks. For that purpose, we have found it to
be fit for purpose, affordable and easily portable.

Terry

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.