Well, yes, if you have regular SEM access and budget and material that will take SEM prep, then it's probably the better option. But I have yet to see a SEM that can be taken into the field or to museum collections, or that can be had for under  £1000 brand new. Of the optical options, Keyence do kit that overcomes the issues you mention, but it's bulky and costs an order of magnitude more. If 'flattening' of the image is a problem, have you tried Focus-stacking Dino-lite images? Sonia O'C, whose knowledge of macro/micro imaging is way beyond mine, produced some excellent images of small shells recently using a Dino-light and focus-stacking, and just did a lovely job imaging fine cut-marks using her Dino-light and some extra lamps. There are other options of course, but the original question was about using a Dino-lite to image cut marks. For that purpose, we have found it to be fit for purpose, affordable and easily portable.
Terry

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.-------- Original message --------From: Haskel Greenfield <[log in to unmask]> Date: 02/07/2018  19:42  (GMT+00:00) To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] pictures of cutmarks: dino-lite? camera?

I have tried the Dino lite unsuccessfully. It flattens the image too much and distorts around the perimeter. I still prefer to use a SEM since it allows for accurate depictions is relief.
Sincerely
Haskel

Haskel Greenfield
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2018, at 5:37 PM, Marie-Cécile Soulier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Zooarchers,

What kind of material do you use to obtain very good quality pictures of cutmarks on bone remains (especially concerning close views). Does anyone already tried a Dino-Lite? Or can

someone recommend a good camera?

Thanks a lot and have a nice summer

Marie-Cécile Soulier

PhD, Zooarchaeology

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marie-Cecile_Soulier

Agent contractuel CNRS
TRACES - UMR 5608, équipe SMP3C

      N'imprimez
 ce mail que si vous en avez vraiment besoin

To unsubscribe from the ZOOARCH list, click the following link:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ZOOARCH&A=1