From: Jean Lilensten <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: vrijdag 6 juli 2018 15:50
To: Stefaan Poedts <[log in to unmask]>; Yngvild Linnea Andalsvik <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Atmospheric flagship

 Dear stefaan,
Would you be so kind to distribute this announcement to the SWWT mailing list ?
Best regards and enjoy your summer!
Yngvild and Jean

-------------------

Dear colleagues,

Svalbard is a unique place to develop middle and upper atmosphere studies. Several scientific bases already address such researches, in Longyearbyen, Hornsund or Ny Alesund. Of course, other polar and high latitude bases exist in the two hemispheres, involving many countries. Ny-Ålesund is, however, easily accessible and has a lot of co-located instrumentation.

The Ny Alesund Science Managers Committee (NySMAC) was established to enhance cooperation and coordination among researchers and research activities in Ny-Ålesund. Its most recent Atmosphere Flagship program includes for the first time a working group devoted to middle and upper atmosphere research (http://nysmac.npolar.no/research/flagships/). This is a new and important way to strengthen international collaboration and develop further our researches, synergies and collaborations with all polar bases. Please see the description of the atmospheric flagship at http://nysmac.npolar.no/research/flagships/atmosphere.html

This Flagship program is community driven. We set up this Working Group because we feel that there is a need for it, but only you involvement will make it alive.

As a first step, we would like to invite you to join in a discussion group. The first goal will be to allow each of us to figure out what capabilities already exist in Svalbard and other high latitudes facilities, to ease and promote multi-instrument campaigns, to exchange data and knowledge on the polar middle and upper atmosphere.

You are welcome to join this group, at least to communicate on the Internet. However, we already announce two face to face meetings.

-       During the European Space Weather Week (http://www.stce.be/esww15/), we will have a Topical Discussion Meetings (Friday 9/11, 14:00-15:15) in order to better consolidate the aim of the working group and start to envision collaborative practices (http://www.stce.be/esww15/program/tdm.php?nr=26). We will examine the lacks that should be filled in the future and how to get the most out of this working group.

-       We will also have a half day or a full day included in the Atmospheric Flagship workshop in Potsdam (Germany), from 15 – 19 October 2018. The exact date and length will depend on the number and availability of potential participants. Some limited fund will be available for these who cannot cover their expenses.

Should you like to participate in this effort, please be so kind to answer to Yngvild

Linnea Andalsvik [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and Jean Lilensten [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

on whether you would participate in the forum. We would also appreciate an indication on whether you are panning to participate in the ESWW meeting or the Potsdam one, and if you need support for the latter.

Best regards

Yngvild and Jean

--

Jean Lilensten

Editor in Chief of the Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate (JSWSC)

Institut de Planétologie et d'Astrophysique de Grenoble (IPAG)

UMR 5274 CNRS / UGA

Office: 124 rue de la piscine, Bâtiment D de physique, 38400 Saint Martin d'Hères

Postal: 414 rue de la piscine, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble cedex 9, France

Tel : +33 (0)4 76 51 41 49        Fax:  +33 (0)4 76 51 41 46

IPAG          : http://ipag.osug.fr/

SWSC          : http://www.swsc-journal.org/

Planeterrella : http://planeterrella.osug.fr/