Responding to Beth --

On the one hand, I have to confess that I know vastly less Spenser
criticism than many eminent Spenserians on this list, but I also feel --
perhaps liberated by my ignorance -- that it would be a shame if a lively
and -- again I feel -- valuable discussion like this were to be curtailed
by a need for variorum-style footnotes. I actually feel this way about
written criticism too, to some degree. If everyone writing about a passage
in FQ were bound to reference every other prior publication on that
passage, how soon before criticism becomes unreadable? Obviously there are
limits to this, and we would all review a new publication rather negatively
if it seemed to be claiming new insights when these were already expressed
elsewhere. But still. And over the course of this thread, there have in
fact been many nods to various publications, which seems fine.

Could one perhaps Spenserize this, by making an analogy to the quest
pattern in FQ, where no knight seems ever in the position of being able to
rest upon the achievements of others (or even himself), but must
continually sally out to face each adversary anew?

On Lewis, I'm not sure I quite buy the argument about Catholicism and
allegory. Was Spenser really so restricted in his choice of representing
various aspects of holiness? He could have found (and often did) biblical
models, for instance, rather than specifically Catholic ones, which would
have avoided the confessional polemics of his day. It would surely have
been possible to represent Una's purity and sanctity (if that's what it is)
without dressing her as a nun.

Hannibal

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 11:54 AM Quitslund, Beth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I want to first sincerely thank everyone who has contributed, and then be
> a pedant.
>

> This has been a fascinating discussion, and I am hoping at some point
> later to be able to go back over it and digest it thoroughly. As it expands
> to more and more topics, however, I am increasingly aware of the sheer
> quantity of careful scholarship that we have both repeated and ignored.
> David W-O is quite right to remind us that, e.g., Lewis weighed in on
> physicality in the House of Holiness. I’m particularly aware of the long
> history of responses to that passage only because I’ve contributed some and
> thus read many of the others. I also know that I don’t know enough of the
> critical literature on many other specific aspects of the poem to weigh in
> with any confidence on them.
>

> At the risk of being a slightly damp blanket which is nevertheless quite
> moved by the excitement of the discussion and also inclined to abuse
> metaphors: I wonder if non-footnoted list kinds of discussions might be
> *most* useful for areas for 1) areas where we feel fairly sure there is
> not a body of recent/continuing criticism or 2) to keep revisiting the Big
> Questions about and in the poem that motivate so many of us to read it.
>

> And I am prepared to be corrected.
>

> Beth
>

> OHIO UNIVERSITY
> Graduate College
>

> Beth Quitslund
> Interim Associate Dean
>
> Associate Professor of English
>
> RTEC 220
> Ohio University
> Athens OH 45701-2979
> T: 740.593.9759
> <https://mail.ohio.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=9d8a8307c9a84aec800a1e268531dda7&URL=mailto%3aquitslun%40ohio.edu>

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340