John Hollander used to complain that he could never convince Stanley Cavell to read The Faerie Queene.  If we had SC’s writing about the poem, it might do much to put in perspective especially what Andrew and Katherine have been saying about different and continually, often minutely shifting relations of Spenser’s characters to their own allegorical and non-allegorical selves, and implicitly to those of others (the ways in which, as Angus Fletcher said, human beings almost happily become daemonic, allegorical agents, and in that form impose themselves on others).  Cavell’s sense of our need to live always between doubt and acknowledgement would be relevant.  “Disowning knowledge” is part of what Spenserian characters do when they confront their own interior fears or desires in personified form outside themselves, even it’s more than that, indeed sometimes a form of owning their self-knowledge (or letting us reflect on the possibility of such ownership, which can never be perfect, and is always liable to be lost).  I think there’s much shared ground between Katherine and Andrew, by the way (also Bill).

At a Spenser conference years ago, Paul Alpers talked about meeting William Empson, when Paul was a youngish scholar and just starting to work on FQ.  Empson pointedly asked Paul what it was that most interested in him in Spenser.  Paul said that one thing he was curious about was Spenser’s ability to shift perspective and moral judgement so radically from moment to moment, so that in one canto throwing away your shield is a mark of moral failure and loss of faith, and in another a mark knightly pragmatism and trust.  Empson replied:  “You pass my test!  Spenser had a large mind.”

That was the same conference at which Tom Roche told the story (as I recall) about accidentally pushing or tipping another famous critic into the Cam.

cheers,

Ken