This has been a wonderful discussion.

It seems to me that much of what we're circling around comes down to, "what does Redcrosse know and how could he know it?" Does he know he's an allegorical character? Does he know that his armor isn't just armor? As Andrew asks, does he grok the grok? I would add, then, that when we ask those questions, we must ask the same questions of every character/entity from which/whom Redcrosse receives advice or accouterments. For example, does Una really know what she's doing, and can her knowledge always be relied upon as good? We really shouldn't assume so, which is Richard Halpern's brilliant point in "Una's Evil," his Hugh Maclean lecture for the Spenser Society luncheon some years ago (http://www.english.cam.ac.uk/spenseronline/static/pdfs/2010_Volume_40_Number_3.pdf).

Another example would be Contemplation, who in his conversation with Redcrosse tells him pretty much that -- to quote the title of what used to be Slate.com's cooking column -- "you're doing it wrong." It's one of those conversations where the reply assigned belatedly to Contemplation by a "said he" almost comes across as Redcrosse's own answer to his question:

But deeds of armes must I at last be faine [asks RCK],
  And Ladies loue to leaue so dearely bought?
  What need of armes, where peace doth ay remaine,
  (Said he) and battailes none are to be fought?
As for loose loues they are vaine, and vanish into nought.

Right: here's true knowledge offered him. This whole fighting and loving thing -- even if it's fighting while wearing the armor of God, and even if it's loving the true faith -- has been a detour all along. Lesson learned: Redcrosse promptly resolves to kill the dragon as promised and then proceed on his true quest, his journey to the new Jerusalem. Or not learned. Arguably, Redcrosse's defeat of the dragon is just as misguided as his defeat of Error, in that he subsequently seems to have forgotten all about the new Jerusalem, and goes on once again to pursue "deeds of armes" and "Ladies Loue" -- first marriage to Una, and then, once he's abandoned her and left her to mourn, fealty to "his Faerie Queene."

Perhaps, though, Contemplation has it all wrong. Or perhaps the voice of Contemplation, seeming to come as it does out of Redcrosse's own mouth, is another instance of Redcrosse's self-serving error. "What need of armes . . . loose loues they are vaine": these sound like lines lifted from the rhetoric of Despaire. Is Redcrosse right to forget this advice, if it's bad to begin with?

Katherine

Katherine Eggert
Vice Provost for Academic Planning and Assessment
Professor of English
University of Colorado Boulder
40 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0040