Wow, this is great, Tom.

I've never heard of the possible other meanings of Duessa's name.

Thanks,
Kim

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 9:30 AM, Herron, Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hmm.  Like the question of what precisely defines Una's "faith" as it expresses itself outwardly in an infinitely varied (and debated and distrusted and curiously attributed) world of signs, ambiguous signifiers and images, so "race" is frustratingly complex, esp if "surface markings" are to be discounted...

That fact that Una is also a type for the lady clothed by the sun helps explain her superlative whiteness.  So why isn't she yellow as well?  Because whiteness is a more apt symbolic value (?).

Spenser does play on color in the name "Duessa", which was a common name in the middle ages in Ireland (including, I think, the name of a daughter of legendary king of the west, Brian Boru) and means "little black one" in Irish (cf. Spanish "negrita"), from Irish dubh, "black" + diminutive ending.  [cf. work by celticist Roland Smith in this regard in PMLA on "Una and Duessa"].

Curiously, "Una," which is still a common name today, sounds like an Irish term for "green", uaine, which may be a far-fetched pun except for various criticism noting Una's green-sickness for RCK.  This then complicates her symbolic whiteness (and infallibility) by emphasizing her corporality as prone to earthly desire.

So far the word that hasn't come up here in regard to Spenser and race is "degeneration", which is key to the View, at least.  Re the same in FQ, has anybody written about how the name Malecasta copies the contemporary Spanish judicial term for a mixed-racial identity?  In Hamilton et al. we find other glosses on the name ("evil spell" etc), but not that one.

Finally, a plug for the recent article by Brendan Kane and Malcolm Smuts on "social lineage racism" (vs outward appearance) as the early modern norm, in "The politics of race in England, Scotland and Ireland" in Malcolm Smuts (ed.) The Oxford Handbook to the Age of Shakespeare​.

http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199660841.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780199660841-e-20

Apologies for the rambling.  Regards, --Tom

Thomas Herron
Department of English
East Carolina University
(252) 328-6413

Writer/Director, Centering Spenser:  A Digital Resource for Kilcolman Castle
http://core.ecu.edu/umc/Munster/