And to follow on John's point (and perhaps tie some of this
together): Similar to other forms of racial logic, race as family lineage
in the early modern period buttressed a political arrangement with a
fantasy of the body. Similarly too, this concept of race bore a signature
of color expressed in the face. Shakespeare plays upon these contemporary
apprehensions of race in *II Henry IV*:

PRINCE HENRY: Before God, I am exceeding weary.

POINS: Is’t come to that? I had thought weariness durst not have

attached one of so high blood.

            PRINCE HENRY: Faith, it does me; though it discolours the
complexion

of my greatness to acknowledge it.  (II.ii.1-5)

Of course, Henry simply means that it discredits his rank to admit that he
is physiologically (humorally) as weak as other men. But his terms are no
accident: Elyot maintains in *The castel of helthe* that those possessed of
“equalytie of humours” are visually marked by “redde and whyte” skin,
whereas those with an “inequalyte of humours” have skin that is “blacke,
sallow…or whyte onely.”  Color marks the humoral equilibrium—the superior
moral disposition—of the social superiors of the play precisely because the
humors were thought to be in equilibrium in noble subjects. “Complexion” in
Henry’s phrasing refers to both the humoral constitution of an individual,
and the external hue that is a sign of inner disposition. He is therefore
suggesting that his admission sullies his noble status, but he is also
punning on the visible marker of his noble blood: the color of his skin.

I have written about this elsewhere, so I'm just cutting and pasting here.
But it seemed that these observations might be helpful to bring some of
these intersecting points of humoral theory together.

Associate Professor, English
Chair, Nominating Committee SSEMW
3127 Tawes Hall
University of Maryland