From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Margaret Christian [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: :※Add faith vnto your force§ (FQ 1.i.19.3)

Yes, but of course Milton's list paraphrases 2 Peter 1 (here the KJV), which starts with faith:

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

... whereas the archangel Michael's, Una's, and the idiomatic admonitions both start elsewhere.

M.

Margaret Christian, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Penn State Lehigh Valley