It has been widely reported in the British press and media.  (I heard it on the radio - I think on the BBC World Service - and it is reported in my Daily Teleegraph  today.  The MSN link which John gives seems to have the story pretty correct.
    To my mind, the significant fact is that nowhere does it appear that other than 'If' (presumably, because it was there on the wall), the student representative has actually read any Kipling.  The MSN piece
 speaks only of Kipling being "famous for his children's literature . . . ."
    Alastair Wilson