I was not one of the founders of this list, as Don Norman incorrectly credited me recently. I have not been a major contributor to the list, but recently I have posted a couple of comments on some of the topics that are touted on the list, and on some of the 'discussion' that they arouse.
At the top of the Home page of the PhD Design list appears:

PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design
PhD-Design was created to discuss, and exchange information about PhDs in design.

My concern is that much of the list content now ignores that purpose. It has degenerated into a chat room for any 'design related' topic, dominated by a small group of old (and a few not-so-old) men, constituting less than 1% of the 3,000 'subscribers'.
The list is 20 years old; it might be time for the actual co-founders, now the co-'owners' of the list to review what the list has achieved in encouraging and developing PhD studies in design, and to consider whether it still serves its original purpose. But I doubt that would have any substantive outcome, because one of the co-owners treats the list as a personal blog and encourges everyone to just "chat".

Nigel Cross