These discussion here are a great documents (statements) how the community of experts is fighting for positioning, within the field. A community of design thinkers, ...we are wording each other into reality.
Therefore there is a fight regarding the wording. And this archive will be important as a source. Many know that, therefore the fights, who speaks (writes) in length and elaborates and who is allowed to answer, who will be ignored with a contribution, is a question of power! It is a question of positioning in the hierarchy of the community of design researchers.
Such power structures are greatly researched (therefore known). For instance by Michel Foucault in his Archeology of Knowledge.
I have been focused on the shaping of 'paradigms' in the design field in my PhD research. I can't always contribute to the discussion here, because I need to participate in other power games, since I am the president of a University.
But I love to read these discussions here, please go ahead and please stay on the list. I feel very often like a voyeur watching  gladiators.

Regarding the quote from Don:

> Designers should be professionals with the ethical
> responsibilities doctors are supposed to have.  That is precisely one of
> the points I was suggesting.

From my perspectives that statement is difficult, since we didn't look into the medical discourse, and whether there is substantial discursive practise to draw from.

I am aligned with David's statement:

> Unintended consequences are unavoidable. They are, if you will, part of the natural order. But we can do a great deal to minimise them and, like doctors, try to do no harm.

To say it in my philosophical terms: ... as a doer,... you are always a harm-doer! Nothing can prevent that. But I do agree, trying to minimise is the least we shall intend.

User centred design was nothing than a believe 'paradigm', designers had been using unreflected, since they want to do good.
It is great that we start to rip that apart and a new 'paradigm' will appear, designers will believe in. As long as they (designers) don't think by themselves, others will think for them, as we do it here. That is our responsibility here.

Prof. Dr. Jurgen Faust
Macromedia University