From: The Natural Science Collections Association discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rachel Jennings
Sent: 17 July 2018 15:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cause of damage to bones?

Dear all,

I'm looking for advice!

Short version: my chimp bones look weird, and I want to know if the preparation method has damaged them.

Long version:
I'm cataloguing our collection of chimpanzee skeletons at the Powell-Cotton Museum, and have come across several specimens that have damage, particularly on the limb bones. They appear porous, are lightweight, and some have swelled up. Most also have obvious 'tide marks'. The first time I saw it, I assumed it was disease, but now I've seen a number that look the same, I'm wondering if it's damage caused by the preparation method?

They were originally roughly defleshed in the field (1930s), then stored at the museum with the remaining dry flesh on them until the 1980s, when they were prepped properly. They were cleaned using an enzyme called Corolase N, and bleach. Does anyone know if this could have caused the damage I'm seeing? Or have other suggestions?

Please feel free to reply off-list. I can try to supply better pictures if needed!

Thanks very much,
Rachel

Project Curator (Natural History)
Powell-Cotton Museum