Following up on the information provided by Paul below, for which many thanks, I discover that I need access to

Clavis Scriptorum Latinorum Medii Aevi. Auctores Galliae 735-987 II Alcuinus cur. Marie-Hélène Jullien<http://www.mirabileweb.it/search-scholars/marie-h%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne-jullien-scholars/1/2714> - Françoise Perelman<http://www.mirabileweb.it/search-scholars/fran%C3%A7oise-perelman-scholars/1/22948>, Turnhout, Brepols 1999 voll. 2 pp. XIV-536, 168 (Corpus Christianorum. Continuatio Mediaevalis)

of which item nr. 36, 'De Psalmorum usu', is apparently what I need. Could any list members with easy access to this work give me the page numbers of that text, while I see if I can persuade the library we need our own copy?

Also, if anyone has additional information about the history of the text in later mss, in whatever language, I´d be happy to receive it. Oddly enough it was easier for me to find a list of libraries owning mss. of the text than to access the text itself!

Meg

According to  Douglas Dales, Alcuin: theology and thought, Cambridge: James Clarke, 2013, p. 173, the De psalmorum usu liber is a 9th-century compilation, probably put together at the Italian abbey of Nonantola, prefaced with Alcuin's brief introduction to the Psalms, so that the whole was later mistakenly attributed to him.

There is also a possibly helpful article by Jonathon Black, "Psalm Uses in Carolingian Prayerbooks: Alcuin and the Preface to De Psalmorum Usu", Mediaeval Studies 64 (2002): 1-60. -- Paullist, send the message: unsubscribe medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion