Thank you very much, Paul.

My apologies if what follows is too rambling for the list, but I'm trying to work out the origin and semiotics of crossed fingers for a section of an essay I'm writing.

I was actually skimming through the Anglo-Saxon Monasteriales Indicia yesterday in the hopes of finding something useful, but all I found were a couple signs for requesting a cross: laying one's index fingers across each other and putting up a thumb or a pinky depending on the size of cross wanted.

In that vein, I was hoping, faintly, for something more like the charms and recipes in the Lacnunga and Bald's Leechbook, something that puts holy signs and objects to uses closer to what we think of as magic or popular religion--though anything surviving in MS form passed through some form of learned vetting. It seems likely to crop up in guides to monastic communication only as a warning against perverting the signs to vulgar use, or in a rule or penitential handbook. It would be nice if it popped up in Aelfric Bata's Colloquies with some of the other bad behavior, but alas.

Thank you for the Bruce article. It's a lovely introduction, and he does mention warnings against using the signs at certain times, but doesn't say anything about specific sign restrictions. I'll have to look in his monograph again. It may be that such things would have constituted such an egregious breach that rule writers didn't think they need not be mentioned. Or they didn't want to give people ideas.

Gerald of Wales' description of the Canterbury refectory riotous with signs is delightful, but he's satirizing excess and hypocrisy, not the misuse of any particular sign. (Giraldi Cambrensis Opera Omnia 4.39-40)

--

More generally, I would expect the sign to be older: it would have made an easy, private Christian cross, though there may not be any traces of it, and might have appeared in other cultures as well since it's such an easy gesture to make, one that does seem to lend itself to notions of warding or union of opposites or even, as Panati suggests, a trapping or keeping close, as well as any other meanings common to pre-Christian crosses.

It makes natural sense as a wishing gesture since it can be private or selectively shared (as can the lying mode), much like a wink. One often doesn't want to wish in a grandiose way, so its nice to have a small gesture. Also, you can vary the pressure, squeezing more tightly to impart extra power to the wish without causing any disturbance. I suppose this also works for lying: the greater the lie, the more you squeeze, perhaps adding your other hand as well.

Are there other instances, early or late, of crossed fingers? The OED (I sometimes forget they have phrases) is still my best source:

1723   A. de la Mottraye Trav. I. xii. 256   The Patriarch of Constantinople..having bless'd the People, bowing and crossing his Fingers, so as to form the Characters IC XP.
1773   D. Henry Hist. Acct. Voy. Eng. Navigators IV. 18   These they concluded were what the Portuguese sailor had imagined to be crosses, from the Indian having crossed his fingers when he was describing the town.
1889   Lawrence (Kansas) Evening Trib. 18 July   If you can ‘cross the hump’ of a hunchback with fingers crossed you will have good luck.
1895   N. Y. Times 13 Sept.   ‘Tag, your [sic] it,’ said Tommy. ‘No I ain't,’ said Mamie, ‘'Cause I had my fingers crossed before you came around’.

I can't figure out how to make IC XP with my hands with my fingers crossed, so I can't tell if it's the usual middle finger over index cross, and the 1773 quotation sounds more like a descriptive use of crossing the figures and so not much use to me. Otherwise, 1889 is the earliest citation for a lucky use, and 1895 for a lying use.

Thanks again to anyone who can help!

Steve