Dear all,

I would like to invite you to a half day symposium on Cinema and Social Change in South Asia at Loughborough University London.

Please find details below. Attendance is free but registration compulsory. We also have some travel funding for PhD students who want to attend from other parts of the UK. Please get in touch with myself or my co-organiser Dr Clelia Clini ([log in to unmask]) regarding this. Lunch will be provided.

Please register here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cinema-and-social-change-south-asia-tickets-47948287619

DATE AND TIME:

Mon 30 July 2018
10:00 – 14:00 BST

Please arrive by 09:30 for registration

LOCATION:

Loughborough University London
3 Lesney Avenue, The Broadcast Centre
Here East Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
London
E15 2GZ

How to get here: http://www.lborolondon.ac.uk/about/location/find-us/

This half day seminar will look at cinema in South Asia and will reflect on the role of films in social change.

From the establishment of the Film Divisions unit in India to communicate the ideas of a new developing Nehruvian India to the recent ban on Pakistani actors in India, films seem to constantly occupy a central position in South Asian politics. This one-day workshop will bring together senior and junior colleagues, as well as film practitioners, working on cinema in South Asia to promote a reflection on the role of films in social change.

This workshop is hosted by our Institute for Media and Creative Industries.

Speakers include:

Dr Monia Acciari, (De Montfort University): “Film Festivals and South Asia: Curating India”

Munsur Ali, (London Bengali Film Festival, Limelight Film Awards): “Representation and Identity through Cinema”

Dr Giulia Battaglia (Universite’ Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle): “Between Cultural Performance and Cultural Activism: Contemporary Documentary Film Festivals in India”

Dr Ashvin Immanuel Devasundaram (Queen Mary University London): “Cinematic Contestations: Indian Independent Film as a Political Medium”

Sunil Gupta (UCA): "Queer Cinema, Photography and Activism in India"

Screening of Debalina Majumder's 2010 film- Taar Cheye She Anek Aro (More than a Friend). Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CDoLRQ8vmk

Lunch will be provided for all. If you are a PhD student do get in touch with me or Dr Clelia Clini ([log in to unmask]). We have some travel funds.

Best

Rohit

---
Dr Rohit K Dasgupta
Labour and Cooperative Party Councillor, London Borough of Newham
Programme Director and Lecturer in Global Communication and Development
Institute for Media and Creative Industries  |  Loughborough University
Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Here East  |  London E15 2GZ  |  UK
Email: [log in to unmask]  |  [log in to unmask]
http://www.lborolondon.ac.uk/about/staff/rohit-k-dasgupta/
https://mgov.newham.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=5156
https://www.rohitkdasgupta.co.uk<https://www.rohitkdasgupta.co.uk/>