> On 23 Jul 2018, at 20:52, Giles Bergel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> It’s all a bit uncertain at this stage, but we’re looking to display 3-400 images of historical printing blocks. There are no appropriate standards for their description, so a custom metadata scheme is required - and most of the static image gallery generators I’ve seen seem only to support metadata such as EXIF out of the box, whereas we’d need to describe the dimensions of the artefacts; their subject; their usage; notes; etc. The host has limited IT, so a database-driven site is out of the question. The metadata doesn’t need to be searchable (except by Google) but it does need to be displayed next to the images. Browsing forwards>backwards through, say, 20 pages each displaying 20 images in order is sufficient. There will be no updates, so a one-off generation of content is acceptable.

It would be quite simple to script it, but I've found that using WordPress as a framework is a handy alternative.

I'd use a Custom Post type and Advanced Custom Fields to design the metadata structure.  Customise a theme and templates to output images as per hierarchy or on specific pages - you could easily create 'archive pages' with links to each image+metadata

and using 'tags' you could provide a freeform navigation if you wanted.

once you'd got the WordPress site working as needed, then do a static site export and the job is done.

I'm still not sure why you couldn't host a WordPress site online if you have web server space for flat html and images.

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-type-ui/
https://www.advancedcustomfields.com

I'm sure we (or Mike) could point you to some WordPress hosting for your development needs, but I'd look at this as well:
https://local.getflywheel.com

It will allow you to build the data locally and use the static site generator to create a flat file site. (I've tested it on a Mac - can't vouch for Windows though)

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg