Hi All,

We’re thinking of introducing a scheme that lets student ‘save’ a study space for a short period of time if they need to take a break for a bit.

A couple of colleagues have seen similar schemes at Royal Holloway & LSE (where either students can put a card on their belongings to save their space while they take a break for a bit or where staff put a card on belongings which have been left behind telling other students that the space will be free after a certain time)

I was wondering if anyone else does something similar at their library and if so

-          how does it work (do the students put out cards, do staff put out signs during a walk round ?)

-          Have there been any problems or complaints about it?  Has it led to arguments between students or does it actually help makes everything a bit clearer?

-          How much time do you let students leave a desk unattended for?

-          If you don’t put out cards do you still have a policy about whether students can ‘save’ library spaces?

Thanks for any help – it’s much appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Emma.

Emma McDonald

Assistant Information Advisor for the School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Science (PaBS)

Aldrich Library, University of Brighton, Telephone: 01273 64 ext.2758 Aldrich Facebook Aldrich Twitter  Aldrich Library opening hours

https://img.newoldstamp.com/f/000/008/u251.png?583c162849c20

OA smallOpen Access – REF2021

To be eligible for submission to REF, all research outputs must have been deposited in Converis within 3 months of acceptance.

For further information on Open Access, please see our Open Access web pages or contact your local Information Adviser