Ahhhh!  I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to understand the subsequent influence of a set of publications that had cited a target set.  In fact, you want to know if it's possible to measure where a publication may have been referred to in the text, but not in the reference list, as it was only read via a secondary publication which was itself cited?  This is an interesting question and our ability to do this is dependent on how journals index secondary citations and how citation tools pick them up. I have no definitive answer, but I know that in a recent journal paper I wrote (published by Springer) I wanted to make a secondary citation to a work (it had been cited by a paper I'd read, but I couldn't get hold of the full-text myself to read) and they insisted I cited it as a primary citation.  I explained that I hadn't been able to read the original, but they didn't seem concerned!  I think CrossRef has led to more uniformity around citations and this may have an effect on secondary (missing) citations over time?  The only other thing that comes to mind is a service like Dimensions that indexes full-text, not just metadata.  So technically, I'm thinking you could search for mentions of a particular paper that don't appear in the reference lists?  I've never tried this and it might demand more advanced search functionality than is currently available in Dimensions?  Colleagues who've done more work with Dimensions than me may be able to advise.

All best
Lizzie

From: A bibliometrics discussion list for the Library and Research Community <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Catherine Dack
Sent: 16 July 2018 11:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Secondary citations

Many thanks, Lizzie,

I must admit to being not entirely clear, still.  I'm looking for ways to detect instances where a study might be referred to via a second publication, so that the study is mentioned, but only the second publication is cited in the references.  Could metrics pick up that the original study had been mentioned?  Assuming that it is a single publication, for simplicity, and I'm looking in Scopus, if I select the single publication and click 'view cited by', then I get a list of citing articles (which are articles mentioned in the references and bibliography?) but I thought that if I then click to view the articles that cite one of these, or a selection, then I would just get another list of articles mentioned in the references of that article, or selection?  "Does that make any sense at all?!  Apologies if I'm being excessively stupid!

best wishes

Catherine