From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Coonan, Emma
Sent: 17 July 2018 07:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hoping folk think these questions of relevance/interest - can dogs be educated? can dogs be educators?

What a superb question!

On the topic of whether dogs can be educators themselves: some years ago Andy Walsh and I edited an “anarcho-narrative unbook” – a collection of narratives and critiques around information literacy. In the introduction we noted that in one contribution (by David Mathews),

learning is entirely practical and extra-textual. Horses, humans, and the author-observer all experience learning as a process of becoming, of extending the identity. Even the dogs are learning to become guardians or gatekeepers: “Zack was teaching Bonnie how to fight and to bark with more aggression”.

Em.

PS The book is online and open access : )

Dr. Emma Coonan

Research Fellow, Centre for Innovation in Higher Education

Project Researcher, Building higher education curricula fit for the future

Anglia Ruskin University, East Road, Cambridge CB1 1PT

Anglia Learning & Teaching, 2nd Floor, Abbeygate House

Learning Development Services

Find us on social media @CIHE_ARU