From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leonard Holmes
Sent: 17 July 2018 17:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hoping folk think these questions of relevance/interest - can dogs be educated? can dogs be educators?

Dear all

I'm not clear what the point is in respect of the way the conversation has proceeded, given that this discussion list is about learning development in HE. As far as I am aware, there are no dogs, cats or other non-humans studying in HE, and no dogs, cats or other non-humans teaching in HE. The question posed in Gordon's opening sentence is very important and relevant, ie "what learning (and teaching) is - and who can learn - and how?"

Those questions are primarily philosophical. We need first to be clear about the concepts we are using, avoiding confused thinking from using terms inappropriately. Unfortunately, the term 'learning' (and other terms based on the stem 'learn-', has been used in highly problematic ways, leading to what Wittgenstein would have called 'bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language'. It has led to the idea that 'learning' refers to a singular phenomenon. It doesn't. Moreover, the term may be used when referring to an assumed empirical phenomenon (or perhaps used as explanatory of some empirically observable phenomenon ('behaviour') OR it may be used as an evaluative expression (as when making judgements in assessment, for example).

The relationship between the concepts of learning and education is also complex, and the reduction of the latter to the former in much discussions about HE (and education generally) in discussions over the past 3 decades or so is another example of our intelligence being bewitched. I've used the term 'learnerism', Biesta talks of 'learnification'.

So: education is a concept that is properly used only in the context of human society, and to use it about non-human animals is muddled thinking.

Yes, animals do learn and there are some ways in which they learn from other animals - but that has no relevance to education, especially to higher education. When we use the terms 'learn', 'learning' in relation to education, we are deploying a different conceptual repertoire.

Len