I’m not sure I’d agree with animals being educated.  As far as I’m concerned, education entails study, and I haven’t seen any animal doing something I’d call ‘studying’.  All of the examples thus far around animal learning (which I do fully agree happens) are around concrete rewards or goals, and done willingly.  Cat wants mouse? Innovate a new route and apply contextual locational knowledge to path to that room. Cat conditioned to use its own behavioural conditioning (with nails on glass) in order to wake their human up? Very smart sure, but hardly something I’d term “study”.

We spend (and encourage students to spend) a great deal of energy wrestling with abstract concepts and theoretical frameworks with (usually) little practical application.  The very idea of a degree being the end result/goal of study has no equivalent in the animal kingdom, just as we distinguish birdsong as a necessity for birds, while learning the piano/guitar is either a leisure or professional activity, and not a necessity.

Perhaps I have a more human-centric view, or my not having owned a pet giving me a more sceptical view, or perhaps those with pets are just more inclined to view their pets as more human than others (for e.g., I can’t really wrap my head around Ian and Jayne’s comments on animals displaying emotion).

I have plenty more floating thoughts on this subject but I fear adding any more will result in a dangerous lack of coherence and cohesion J

Despite my “bah humbug” reading of all of this, it has made me think about where we draw the lines between learning/conditioning/educating/teaching in a novel and interesting way

Barry