Really interesting thread! My cat has learned to scratch the glass over a picture frame which has been standing on my bedroom floor to wake me up. I ignored everything else she did like gently pawing my face or miaowing  but the glass scratch gets an instant reaction!
As for us training cats at least, much more difficult to ascertain. I do though manage to get my other cat in from wherever he is by noisily opening a packet of ham when nothing else works, not sure if that counts as training or just pavlovian reaction because he gets his favourite treat at the end?

From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jayne Richards
Sent: 17 July 2018 06:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LDHEN] Hoping folk think these questions of relevance/interest - can dogs be educated? can dogs be educators?

Great debate!

It is not just dogs - my cats display similar skills which go beyond training or instinct.  Yes, routine plays a part but I have noticed how they adapt acquired understanding to develop their means of communication with me.  It is about time we give non-human animals more credit!

Jayne

Jayne Richards
Programme Director

[Rose Bruford College]<https://www.bruford.ac.uk>

Rose Bruford College
Lamorbey Park Campus
Burnt Oak Lane
Sidcup
Kent. DA15 9DF. UK

tel +44(0)20 8308 2600 | fax +44(0)20 8308 0542

ddi +44(0)20 8308 2659 |

Rose Bruford College accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.