Dear All,

I lived with a cat for 10 years, and was amazed by his ability to ‘train’ his human companions.  Doting cat ‘owners’ will tell you that the cat trains the owner. In contrast, the cat is much more of an independent learner.

Our cat used to practice different meow sounds to test which was going to be the most effecting at getting human attention. So it was very much a case of learning from experimentation.  He was very aware of human routines, which he was sometimes willing to go along with.  For example, he knew he was not allowed to stay outside at night, and most of the time would come in when we called him in the evening and he would settle down. But there were other times when he chose to resist in quite creative ways.

Cat behaviour, like human, is relational, and is also influenced by territory.  We would cat sit for friends’ cats, and vis versa. If the other cats came to our house, our cat would take on the role of top cat, but would be submissive in the other cats’ house.

When humans are the people imposing a change of territory, it is not as straight forward as a cat straying into another cat’s patch, the incoming cat has to learn how to negotiate the humans’ rules/routines that come with the change of territory. Observing these relational role changes provides a great insight into the information processing that the cats are engaged in. It is too simplistic to say that their behaviour change is the result of an automotive trigger to a new environment. As with human who do not know the rules in a new social setting, they start off cautiously and build confidence as they learn the situated practices in the new setting.

Best wishes,

Allyson

Dr Allyson Noble

Effective Learning Advisor