Dear Pauline and Siobhán,

Brilliant insights RE LD and personal tutors. I think the dynamic changes slightly when a student is talking to a person who will (at some point) assess your work formally and give it a mark, but the ideal is that we all work with students, actively and respectfully.

Brief ideas from the handbook I wrote for my tutors below – do colleagues who work with personal tutors/academic advisors think they might potentially be adaptable? The brief points here are influenced by my own initial training at Columbia University in NY where I worked in the Writing Center back in the 2000s during my studies there. Also, I asked last year’s tutors to share advice they had for future tutors – widely applicable to other supportive 1:1  meetings, maybe?  Personally, I’m a big fan of their insights – great to work in partnership with them.

Tutoring strategies

Minimalist+ tutoring

As tutors, our primary job is to help develop writers rather than texts, to foster independent learners.  In his classic 1991 essay ‘Minimalist tutoring: Making the student do all the work’, Jeff Brooks (1991) offers a number of strategies aimed at keeping responsibility for the work firmly with the student rather than the tutor and keeping the student active rather than passive. He suggests

·         sitting beside rather than opposite the student (at a right angle is good too)

·         saying something positive about the writing to indicate that you’re not an editor who is focused on finding errors

·         asking questions to keep students engaged

There are times when you might be more interventionist: modelling particular moves, such as close reading or forging a connection between two things. Ideally, you then encourage the student to try those moves out with your support. Equally, you can share techniques that have worked for you and encourage the student to apply this to their own work, but don’t tell your students what to do – let them choose the method that works best for them.

Setting the agenda

It’s important to start the tutorial by asking the student what they would like to work on with you, but how you spend your time should be negotiated. Sometimes students over-value problems at the sentence-level (faulty sentence structure, or punctuation, for instance), rather than concentrating on higher level issues, such as problems with structure and argument.  Often, a clearer structure will result in clearer writing, as well as allowing a student’s answer to the assignment question to become visible to their module tutor. Sentence-level work is valid too (especially when you notice and can work with recurring errors), but prioritise higher level issues.

Things to do in an academic skills 1:1 tutorial – some ideas

·         Get students talking about their assignments. You need to listen carefully and jot down notes and then mirror the core points back to them – this helps students claim and value their own ideas and feel less confused by them.

·         Use questions to help students reach their own answer.

·         If they don’t have an answer, you might want to ask them to take a moment and try to write something down. You can then discuss this together.

·         Ask your tutee whether they can ‘walk’ you through their introduction – this can help them see for themselves if it is confusing / lacks an argument, etc.

·         Try asking a question and scribing the student’s answer – sometimes people find their way through speaking, but lose it when they try to write it down.

·         Propose a technique (or two) – ‘what would your introduction look like if you decided to try that out?’

·         Notice patterns of errors to help you prioritise what to work on – don’t try to tackle everything.

·         Model a sentence and then get them to try writing one of their own.

·         Ask tutees to sum up what you have worked on in the tutorial and/or ask them ‘what next?’ so they leave with a concrete action plan.