Hi Bryony,

We use Canvas and have created a number of ‘courses’ on different skills themes which students can sign up to. Alongside these resources we also use Skills4StudyCampus. Canvas allows us to embed all, or parts of these resources (incl. S4SC) into discipline modules so that skills is embedded in the curriculum. So at the moment they can be used as standalone, self-enrolment resources and/or we work with academics to embed them as part of a specific credit-bearing module, which is our preferred option of course.

Regards

Paul

From: Kim Shahabudin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 27 July 2018 13:19
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Study skills modules on VLE

Hi Bryony,

We have a Study Advice Organisation on Blackboard rather than a course, so content and enrolment rolls over each year. It’s been a useful exercise for giving easy access to things like self-audit tools and slides from presentations, but we really see it as just that at present – not a major part of our self-access resources. There is a box to advertise it on School Blackboard portals which is a nice easy way to get a bit more dissemination.

We haven’t really used it for whole non-subject-specific study skills teaching modules – these are notoriously difficult to pitch so that they are suitable for students from all disciplines. However, I think there is scope for a ‘building block’ model with a suite of teaching activities located on Blackboard but liaising with Depts/module conveners to see which might be suitable for their students and create bespoke study skills modules. We are currently considering whether Blackboard would be the right place to create this sort of resources for taught postgraduate teaching.

I think we’d all agree that embedding skills teaching is the ideal, but (alas!) we don’t all live in an ideal world.

Best wishes,

Kim

Dr Kim Shahabudin, SFHEA, Study Adviser, Study Advice & Maths Support
University of Reading Library @ URS Building, Whiteknights, Reading
0118 378 4242/5222 • www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice<http://www.reading.ac.uk/library/study-advice> twitter: @unirdg_study
Please note that I now work part-time and am not usually on campus on Mondays.
[B20899-teaching-fellow-email-01]