Dear All,

At Essex, we have a student-led, peer-reviewed, multi-disciplinary academic journal called ESTRO Essex Student Research Online<https://www1.essex.ac.uk/journals/estro/>, which is now entering its tenth year of uninterrupted publication. It’s published annually both online and in a print edition.

The journal gives our students the chance the chance to bring their work up to a publishable standard through the peer-review and editing process. It also allows provides our PhD reviewers with early experience of peer-review and our editors with valuable experience of academic publishing.

I wondered if other institutions have similar journals, either at Department or Institution level?

As you may have guessed, I have been asked to gather information on this for the usual dreaded ‘review’. But I would also be interested in exploring opportunities for collaboration with other institutions on publishing and disseminating student research. These might include collections of themed writing, where a call for papers would generate a wider response if made across a number of institutions, or even the organization of a student conference. It can also sometimes be difficult to find a suitably qualified PhD reviewer within a single institution, or to maximize the chances of those students who are interested the possibility of reviewing with the chance to review at least one paper over the course of their doctorate. There are many possible ideas …

Anyway, if list members were willing to provide me (on or off-list) with any information as to

(a)   whether your institution has similar publications and/or

(b)   whether you feel you or a colleague might be able to collaborate with us on a project

I would be hugely grateful for your help.

Best wishes,

Maurice

Maurice Abbott
Essex Pathways Department: Lecturer in EAP (0.5FTE)
Graduate Director
Course Director, Pre-master's Graduate Diploma
TDC: Academic Skills Tutor (0.5 FTE)
Manager, ESTRO Journal
T +44(0)1206 872612
E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
► www.essex.ac.uk/pathways/<http://www.essex.ac.uk/pathways/>.
► http://www.essex.ac.uk/students/study-resources/tdc/default.aspx

WE ARE ESSEX
TOP 10 FOR STUDENT SATISFACTION

[cid:09317085-60AC-425E-B2B7-E09DAB14FF9B]<https://www.facebook.com/essexuniIO>[cid:2D9E9C70-8DF0-4E0D-A2D6-636E16F0AFA3]<https://twitter.com/UEssex_Intl> [cid:DCB45D89-19F6-430B-BCCD-39449AE8A722] <https://vimeo.com/uniofessex>