Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to a session at Fall AGU in Washington, D.C. on subduction processes at the Hikurangi subduction zone, New Zealand.  We aim to bring together results on a broad range of research currently going on at the Hikurangi subduction zone. Please consider presenting your research on the HIkurangi margin to our session.  We also welcome comparative studies from other subduction margins, and theoretical and modelling studies that elucidate processes influencing subduction plate boundary behaviour.

     Session number: T042

    Conveners: Laura Wallace (GNS Science & University of Texas Inst. for Geophysics), Rebecca Bell (Imperial College, London), Kimihiro Mochizuki (Earthquake Research Institute, Univ. Tokyo), Demian Saffer (Pennsylvania State University)

    The Hikurangi subduction zone offshore New Zealand's North Island exhibits pronounced along-strike changes in margin characteristics that make it an outstanding natural laboratory to investigate a wide range of fundamental subduction processes. This unique aspect of the subduction zone has sparked a plethora of new onshore and offshore geological and geophysical investigations. These experiments are helping to unravel the physical processes that control subduction plate boundary geodynamics and deformation.  Recent efforts include scientific ocean drilling, multiple active and passive seismic experiments, seafloor geodetic deployments, and paleoseismic investigations.  We welcome submissions that advance understanding of the Hikurangi subduction zone, including processes that underlie slow slip events and earthquake cycle behaviour, volcanism and intra-arc rifting, volatile and fluid cycling, long-term subduction margin evolution, and geohazards associated with the plate boundary. Modelling studies, and comparative studies with other subduction zones to elucidate factors controlling subduction zone processes are also very welcome.

Thanks,

Laura, Becky, Kimihiro and Demian