Kilner do glass paddle churns (https://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=15773&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ZbaBRBUEiwA4VQCIb_v1rvtq3suC8KPHGZolPuFh9dyg2TM2FHOUxMZ9vA7Y9Gvf4o4fhoC1GQQAvD_BwE). They are new and the rubber is easy to wash and get the butter off of. I used one of those on the table – they look very authentic but needed quite a lot of cream. You can water down the cream with cold water, which gives it more momentum and makes it easier to churn a small amount rather than having bucketfuls of butter left over afterwards. I also used to use those plastic protein shake containers, because they wouldn’t smash if an enthusiastic child with buttery fingers let them slip(!).

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of sophie cabot
Sent: 11 July 2018 13:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Butter Churning

When I do it with groups I just use a screw top jan, and the children shake it in turn. Then they can hear the sound changes that you get with a real churn.

You do see small glass hand chuns in charity shops from time to time though - those are good because you can see the mechanism, and they're easy to sterilise.

Sophie Cabot BA MPhil.