All

I have been away from my e-mail for a few days, and am now catching up -
I have read Holly's e-mail and will confine these comments to Nicola's
e-mail and the second half of Holly's.

For over 10 years I have worked in the church / cathedral sector as a
volunteer in tourism and pilgrimage and in fact I am one of those who do
believe that museum theory can, and should be applied to religious
buildings, that is why I value being on the gem mailing list - I have
also contributed replies at times.  I would however suggest that the
word "Some" is added to Nichola's e-mail.  My experience is trying to
explain to those responsible for churches why interpretation of their
history is important - for the reasons Nichola gives - can be met with
indifference and even a refusal to consider the question.

I have worked, at times, with both the Churches Conservation Trust and
the National Churches Trust but these bodies are primarily set up to
maintain the church buildings, whereas many churches see their purpose
as promoting the Christian faith (Mission) this perceived clash between
mission and maintenance being the problem.

There are other groups working in this field whose training, and
materials, I have used and can recommend:

The church visitor and tourism association http://cvta.org.uk/

The Historic Religious Buildings Alliance http://www.hrballiance.org.uk/

I would love to hear from others, perhaps by direct e-mail, about their
experiences in the area of working with parish churches in particular.

Regards

Nick