Hi Aaron,

The contrast in the randomise manual is the one you should use: it will
capture both positive and negative effects as the F-test is bidirectional
(two-tailed).

The alternative you suggest won't work I'm afraid as that contrast is
rank-deficient, i.e., it has rank 3, not 5 or 6, meaning that some of the
lines don't test anything extra that isn't already present in the others
(well, it may in fact work in randomise because behind the scenes it
removes redundancies but this is because the implementation is nice with
the user; the same may not work in other software).

Regarding missing subjects, it also works in randomise as in the example,
just make sure each subject is in their own exchangeability block.

All the best,

Anderson