One quick thing (teaching at the minute as my students write something)

I ask beginning (and all level) students after each segment/exercise task
about its usefulness; I ask so often that people are more willing to say if
something was helpful in the moment and so we build a culture of
asking/checking in/ evaluating in small pieces.

Also ask students to rate their participation (1-10) at the end of class
and give brief feedback on post it notes.

Janet Isserlis