From: "sue sanders" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: OUTing the Past International History Festival

Dear Colleagues
Please excuse any cross postings and let me know if you do not want to receive information about OTP.

I trust that you are able to enjoy some of the great weather we are having and have heard the exciting news of a fascinating find of LGBTQ+ treasure (see here) <https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2018/jul/07/the-slice-of-lgbtq-history-i-found-in-my-mates-loft-video> which just goes to show how vital it is we keep our memories, be they stories, badges or leaflets.

Schools OUT UK’s, OUTing the Past will be five in 2019 and we have secured some really exciting new venues for the festival, as well as including old favourites.  We will be in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, The UK, Sweden, Norway and New York!  So now, we are looking for presentations, and that is where you come in!
We are sure you have a story to tell!
Our chosen theme for 2019 is ‘History II: Peace, Reconciliation, and Activism’, celebrating the official end of the First World War and marking the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. We hope to see a more international perspective of ideas, experiences, and concepts with an LGBT+ focus, however, we are also interested in presentations regarding any other key LGBT+ anniversaries that will be celebrated in 2019.

Your historical presentation/reading/ interpretation might cover a past local, regional or national event, or related events of direct relevance to the Human/LGBT+ Rights agenda and experience, or history of a group, network or a specific campaign, or an account of a personal journey that includes a number of viewpoints.

We are only looking for a 20-minute presentation, so it is not too onerous, however, it will add to people’s knowledge of our past, and no doubt inspire us to treasure our own memories, enabling us to:
Claim our Past;
Celebrate our Present;
and
Create our Future.
For the 2018 Gazette we received 74 applications, so given the number of hubs and places available, not all presentations were able to be used. We appreciate the time and work that goes in to providing your research or history and believe such accounts should be valued for wider or future use, with your sole permission of course. To this end, the application form includes an option to authorise sharing of content with third-party organisations expressing an interest in showcasing LGBT+ history, or to indicate if you would like your presentation submission to be placed on the LGBT History Month Website so others can contact you and book you for the month.
We are also asking applicants to submit a 200-word blog about the subject of their presentation, allowing them to raise its profile and, any presentations not ultimately selected by a 2019 hub may still be picked up elsewhere. We are particularly keen to showcase past experiences and history presentations from those sections of our community whom we rarely hear from, so we have included option boxes highlighting black and ethnic minority, disabled, and bisexual people. And we are exploring the possibility of making appropriate presentations into lesson plans, accessible on The Classroom website. http://the-classroom.org.uk/
In another first for Outing the Past, a £20 fee is payable by hubs to successful applicants’ post-presentation, in addition to qualifying travel expenses.
If you have any questions on this year’s applications process, please ask in the first place the Gazette Coordinator, Caroline, at:Festival.Gazette@ outingthepast.org.uk<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
We at Schools OUT UK are passionate about educating OUT prejudice by making the rich diversity of our community visible, proud and safe, and we hope that you will play your part and submit a presentation! Who knows where you may find yourself in February next year!

So do look at the form here<http://www.outingthepast.org.uk/> and we are looking forward to hearing from you by the 1st October.
I have also attached the flyer for OTP in the hope you can share it with your friends and colleagues and one for Margate pride which will be a fun day by the sea on the 11th August!
In solidarity,
Sue

[cid:]Sue Sanders  Professor Emeritus, Harvey Milk Institute  07960493544 @suesanders03
Founder of LGBT History Month UK and The Classroom
Chair Schools OUT United Kingdom is registered in England as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (no. 1156352)
www.lgbthistorymonth.org.uk<http://www.lgbthistorymonth.org.uk>,www.schools-out.org.uk<http://www.schools-out.org.uk>,www.the-classroom.org.uk <http://www.the-classroom.org.uk>  www.lgbthistorymonth.co.uk<http://www.lgbthistorymonth.co.uk>

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to