BHW shortlisted for prestigious award.Black Saints, White Worshippers

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Black History Walks Newsletter 4.7.2018

Black history is longer than a month...

Walks, Talks & Films on African history all year long

17 years of Education Through Film

Check out our website HERE

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Luxury travel magazine lists BHW in their 15 best walking tours of London

Here is an extract from their article: London is full of history. Not that you’d necessarily know it; royal palaces and top-tier museums aside, it tends to be coy about its past. Between the shapely skyscrapers of the City of London—the business area—are churches that predate the Great Fire of London; the hipster East End was once home to immigrants that changed the country’s history.

But this isn’t a city stuck in aspic; it’s making history, too. A new breed of walking tours in London will show you a different side.

There are common tours aplenty, too, but what London excels in is small-scale walking tours, done as a passion by the founders. From a lesson in black history to musicians, the emphasis on social history is strong. Lace up those sneakers—here are 15 of the best walking tours in London for your next visit. See full article HERE

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Black History Walks shortlisted for National Diversity award

Out of 24,000 nominations, Black History Walks has made the shortlist of eight community organisations in the running for this coveted award. The National Diversity Awards is a prestigious black tie event, which celebrates the excellent achievements of grass- root communities that tackle the issues in today’s society, giving them recognition for their dedication and hard work. On the 14th September in Liverpool one of the eight will be given special recognition for their community work. To find out more click HERE . To show your support email [log in to unmask]

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Mossane a film by Africa's first woman director

Saturday 7th July 2pm

Intro by writer and programmer Tega Okiti and Q&A with Zeiba Monod

Safi Faye’s daughter, Zeiba Monod, will attend the screening and contribute to a Q&A after the film. Zeiba was involved in the casting and production of Mossane. Dazzling and deeply affecting, this powerful drama, follows the plight of Mossane, a young and beautiful village girl who must choose between love and financial security. With touches of magic-realism – where the spirit world intrudes on everyday life – Mossane is beautifully shot by the acclaimed Jürgen Jürges. Together, Faye and Jürges vividly capture the sensuality of youth and the many aspects of rural life against the brilliant light and colour of the African landscape. This film was initially banned in Senegal

Part of African Odysseys at the BFI Southbank

£6.50 Tickets HERE

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Feedback from walkers

A truly inspiring day, filled with information I may have NEVER been aware of, if it was not for attending this walk. The friendly intellectually amazing tour guide relayed facts that I would have had to research for months to be aware of. I would URGE any and everyone, of all ages to attend - a great, fun, educational day out.'

 Isschara Maxine, London

I just wanted to let you know that the students REALLY enjoyed the tour yesterday. I polled them in class and everyone overwhelmingly had positive things to say. They particularly enjoyed how you incorporated modern day information into the tour. They said it was extremely informative and made it seem all really relevant. And today it was great listening to them as they walked around central London, noticing some of the things you'd pointed out. So, your work was very well received. Well done and thank you!

Lori Tharps, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Journalism, Temple University, USA

You may hear this often, but many of my students named your tour as the best element of the trip last time.

Nancy Comerau, Assistant Professor of English, Ohio Wesleyan University, USA

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

African history at the Tower of London.

Harry Cumberbatch MBE pioneered an innovative project that used Black history to empower African/Caribbean people with mental health issues. Two books, including 'African history at the Tower of London' (2008) were published by THACMHO (Tower Hamlets Mental Health Organisations Health Through History project)

Both books were researched and compiled by black people with mental health challenges and they also delivered walking tours and exhibitions on Black History. Service Users improved their self esteem and developed a strong sense of identity while participating.

This intimate, interactive session will feature conversational memories with Mr Cumberbatch using videos, music and photographs, plus questions and answers. We will cover:

·     African history in the Tower of London 1500's to 2010

·     Black power writers of the 18th century

·     London, Sugar and slavery exhibtion (Museum of Docklands) and THACMHO role in its curation

·     From Merchant Navy sailor, to bus driver to first black youth worker in Newham

·     Black British Civil Rights: 1960's to 2000s Race Relations Acts, the fight for equality

·     How history can repair mental health

Get tickets HERE

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Black Saints, White Worshippers

Wednesday 19th September 6.30pm

In the 1500s Europeans had no problem venerating the images of Black people. The evidence is in hundreds of artworks still in existence across Europe today.

One of the most famous Black religious figures is Saint Maurice of Germany (seen above in a 16th century painting with his fellow African soldiers) who has an entire German cathedral dedicated to him. There are towns and churches across Europe named after him and even a US infantry order for those who have served with distinction bears his name.

This richly illustrated talk will explain the history and show the art of Saint Maurice and other Black religious figures from the 13th century to the 18th century. We will cover over ten centuries of the African presence in European art.

·     The Black image in Europe prior to slavery

·     The history of Saint Maurice

·     Personal photographs/videos from the cathedral which honours him and other Black male and female religious figures revered in European art

·     Where we can find similar art in London today

Get tickets HERE

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender.

Please share this info with 10 friends and join mail list HERE

Image removed by sender.

Black History Walks | P.O Box 913, Harrow, London, Harrow HA1 9EH United Kingdom

To unsubscribe from the BASA list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=BASA&A=1