Dear list members,
We have found some carbonized remains of grasses, which resemble Setaria and Echinochloa. Here we have in our reference collection only Panicum miliaceum, so I cannot compare these seeds with Setaria or Echinochloa species.

In the attached files there are five remains from an Pre-Roman Iron Age site in Scania, southern Sweden and on the other file one remain from a earlier remain, from a Bronze Age site also in Scania. Below are measurements of the remains.

I would appreciate suggestions on the identification of these remains and if someone knows where to get hold of reference seeds of Echinochloa and Setaria.

Setaria Echinochloa 1.pdf
LenghtBreadthThickness
PM189451,00,80,5
PM185361,20,90,6
PM214901,00,80,5
PM179291,20,80,7
PM144721,51,30,8

Setaria_Echinochloa 2.jpg
1,8x1,4x1,2 mm

Best regards,
Santeri Vanhanen

To unsubscribe from the ARCHAEOBOTANY list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ARCHAEOBOTANY&A=1