See below, I’d be interested if anyone has looked at chatbots to support students in relation to analytics.

Bye

Paul

From: Learning and Teaching Practice Experts Group <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Sarah Knight
Sent: 02 July 2018 21:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Jisc Chat BOT survey

Hello all,

We would appreciate your support in completing this short questionnaire to inform Jisc work.  Please share with colleagues as appropriate and forward your responses to Phil Richards ([log in to unmask])

Thank you for your support,

Sarah

During the past 20 years, companies have sought to improve their communications with customers using websites (a front-window for the company and a means of enabling customers to perform specific transactions e.g. search for information, place an order etc.). Subsequently, companies developed APPs (specific programmes which customers could download to their personal devices to perform company-related tasks e.g. student mobile apps).

However, during the past few years a new form of communicating has been developing called BOTs. A BOT incorporates a ‘communications layer’ which enables a customer to interact using natural language, a ‘brain’ and an ‘action layer’ which performs actions on behalf of the customer. Thus, the BOT acts as a ‘virtual assistant’ to the customer. You may have used versions of BOTs such as SIRI (from Apple), CORTANA (from Microsoft), ALEXA (from Amazon) and the GOOGLE assistant. These are all early demonstrations of what these technologies may do in the future. You may also have noticed that they are being embedded in many commercial applications (e.g. within Facebook but also within many business applications – such as retail, banking etc).

Last week, Leeds Beckett University won the prestigious THELMA Award, sponsored by Jisc, for the Outstanding Digital Innovation of the Year for Becky, a virtual assistant. Becky provides information to prospective students about course availability, accommodation, scholarships and student support. Becky helped Leeds Beckett to significantly improve their conversion rates during Clearing. See https://www.thelmawards.co.uk/2018/en/page/2018-winners.

Jisc wishes to build upon the successes and lessons learned by early adopters of this new technology by conducting a quick review during summer 2018. We would be grateful if you could either answer this questionnaire or forward it to the most appropriate person in your institution to do so – and to return it to [log in to unmask] as quickly as possible.

  1. Details of the Respondent

Institution name …………………………………………….

Respondent Name …………………………………………

Respondent’s role ……………………………………………..

Respondent email address ……………………………..

  1. Is your institution currently exploring the use of BOTs?

YES – we have developed and are planning to deploy BOTs ………………………..

YES – we are investigating but have not yet deployed any BOTs …………………

NO – we are not yet investigating the potential use of BOTs ………………………

  1. If your institution has deployed BOTs or is planning to do so then please describe the business areas in which you believe they will be most usefully deployed

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  1. Please give contact details of the most appropriate person in your institution for Jisc to contact for more details of your interest in developing BOT technologies

BOT Contact Name…………………………………………………….

BOT Contact’s role ……………………………………………..

BOT Contact’s email address ……………………………..

Thank you for your help! Please return as soon as possible!

Please reply to:

Jisc

Sarah Knight

Head of Change: Student Experience

M 077 477 679 44
Skype Sarahkjisc
Twitter @sarahknight
One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA

Please note I only work Monday - Thursday

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB 197 0632 86 Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800. jisc.ac.uk

To unsubscribe from the EPED-EXPERTS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=EPED-EXPERTS&A=1

To unsubscribe from the ANALYTICS list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANALYTICS&A=1