It seems I was having a Friday bout of amnesia and totally forgot about the existence of turkeys! If anyone could check the bone against turkey too that would be great.

Thank you Tyr and Leif for the suggestion.

Best wishes,

Julia

Dr Julia E. M. Cussans
Archaeozoologist

Bury St Edmunds:  6 Brunel Business Court, Eastern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 7AJ.  01284 765 210
Shefford:  PI House, r/o 23 Clifton Road, Shefford, Bedfordshire, SG17 5AF.  01462 850 483
Ware:  Sucklings Yard, Church Street, Ware, Hertfordshire, SG12 9EN.  Mon, Weds & Thurs: 01920 469 090

The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments is confidential information intended only for the use of individuals or entities named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at the originating address.
I wonder if anyone can help with the identification of this bird scapula?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52o2rugk0c37zvg/AACSVWpSMoYmXij2ferdjLpda?dl=0

It is very similar in size to domestic/ greylag goose, but the morphology does not match my reference specimen. The morphology does however seem similar to chicken, but the bone seems far too large. I had a look in Cohen and Serjeantson and couldn't find a satisfactory match in their either. I am wondering if it might be peafowl, but am open to suggestions. It comes from an urban medieval/ post medieval context in England.

If anyone has peafowl in their reference collection and is able to check it would be much appreciated. This is for a fast turn around report which is required pretty quick, otherwise I would happily bring the specimen up to Sheffield for the bird conference next week.

Many thanks in advance,

Julia

--

Dr Julia E. M. Cussans
Archaeozoologist

Bury St Edmunds:  6 Brunel Business Court, Eastern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 7AJ.  01284 765 210
Shefford:  PI House, r/o 23 Clifton Road, Shefford, Bedfordshire, SG17 5AF.  01462 850 483
Ware:  Sucklings Yard, Church Street, Ware, Hertfordshire, SG12 9EN.  Mon, Weds & Thurs: 01920 469 090

The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments is confidential information intended only for the use of individuals or entities named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at the originating address.

Avast logo