The stylistic similarities between the two pieces, as May notes, have been pretty well laid out in a chapter that I wrote comparing the two. But, as I say, the echoes are largely confined to Lok's translation of the Vulgate text which serves as marginalia to her original sonnet composition. (We're assuming it's hers in my narrative.)

Best,
Kim

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Martin Mueller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Knowing nothing at all about this matter, I have an observation and a question. The observation is that in the context of its age, it would not be implausible for a woman to disclaim authorship and say that a friend gave her what is in fact her work. The question is whether there would be stylometric tests that make an attribution to Norton likely. Since we don’t have much else (or anything) from Locke, that may not get us much further, unless there were real give-aways that associate associated A Meditation with  texts by Norton. But such give-aways are quite rare.

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Elisabeth Chaghafi <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM
To: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: authorship of England's first sonnet sequence

Does the format of your anthology allow for notes or cross-references (so you could potentially place it under "Norton" but have an additional note/cross-reference under "Lock" to explain why it's not where readers would normally expect to find it)? If not, placing it under "Lock" and commenting on it in the introduction would probably still be more practical, even if May has a strong case about it being a wrong attribution.

Elisabeth