Dear all

Prompted by the GDPR and the implementation of a new student records system, we are reviewing our historic practice of collecting and storing next of kin detail for all students. This data is only ever used in an emergency situation

We currently collect name, relationship to student and contact telephone number.  This data is given to us by the student.  Students can update the detail at any time via a portal and are asked to check and update at annual online re-registration

From this year, we are asking the student to confirm they have the nominated person’s permission to share this data with us and to act as next of kin.  We are aware that best practice is to capture the consent of the next of kin

I would be interested to know what the practice is elsewhere

·         do you collect next of kin data?  Is this for all students or some students?  If for some students, which groups and on what legal basis?  What do you use this data for?

·         do you obtain the nominated next of kin’s permission to hold their data and their agreement to the role?  If yes, how do you do this?

·         do you have any processes in place for students or the next of kin to check the currency of this data?  If yes, how do you do this and with what frequency?

·         after the student has ceased to be current, how immediately are their next of kin details deleted from their student record?

If there is any other advice or good practice that you can share, it would be most welcome

I am happy to collate and share responses as requested

Kind regards

Jae

cid:image001.jpg@01D0F452.D052D750

Jae Fowler

MOSI Business Lead

Directorate of Planning & Academic Administration

Canterbury Christ Church University

RH2:08, Rochester CT1 2YA
tel: +44 (0)1227 921990

Registered Company No: 4793659 (A Company Limited by Guarantee) Registered Charity No: 1098136; VAT No: 203734242

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]